Tuesday, February 07, 2012

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT - by Gavin Bishop


Hardback with dustjacket $34.99, Paperback with flaps $19.99
KOINEI TE WHARE NĀ HAKI I HANGA
(The House that Jack Built, Te Reo Māori edition)
by Gavin Bishop, translated by Piripi Walker and edited by Hone Apanui
Paperback with flaps $19.99, ISBN: 978-1-877467-79-0
Koinei te kurī,
Nāna i whaiwhai te ngeru,
Nāna te kiore i whakamate,
Nāna i kai te māta,
I haupū rā i te whare,
Te whare nā Haki i hanga.
 ABOUT THE BOOK
The House that Jack Built is an important book for me. It speaks of the things I care about – identity, family, tūrangawaewae.”
Illustrator, Gavin Bishop (Ngāti Mahuta; Tainui, Ngāti Pūkeko; Ngāti Awa)
“I believe this is one of the most significant books published in New Zealand - it is the story of our modern history. As well as the paperback edition, we are publishing a limited edition hardback with dust jacket, printed on the inside with the original storyboard Gavin drew before the book was pub­lished. We are also publishing the first Te Reo Māori edition of this book.” Publisher, Julia Marshall 
·       This new edition is larger than the original, showing the illustrations as they were intended to be seen, and is printed on heavy, high quality paper
·       Published to coincide with Waitangi Day (6 February), and launched at the Porirua Festival of the Elements on Waitangi Day 2012, with Gavin Bishop in attendance
 AWARDS
·       NZ Children’s Picture Book of the Year 2000
·       NZ Children’s Book of the Year 2000
·       Spectrum Print Award for Best Use of Illustration in a New Zealand Book 2000
·       Notable Book of the Year, NZ Children’s Book Foundation
THE AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR
Gavin Bishop is equally distinguished as author and illustrator. He has exhibited internationally, from Japan to Czechoslovakia.



1 comment:

Kui Tania said...

My friend showed me this book when she got it from the mobile library to read to her mokopuna who inicdentally, are Pakeha. The moko loved it and so did I.
I read and re-read it. the illustrations gave a whole new meaning to the story I had learnt all those years ago. (I am in my 71st year)
Am now trying to purchase a Hard copy of it for my tane (Pakeha) and our moko.
Nga mihi
Na Aquitania Holleran